The kids didn’t have school this morning for the Thanksgiving holiday. My mother in law agreed to watch them so I was taking them over to her house this AM.
I got up this morning in plenty of time to not be rushed and still get to work a little early. I woke Hannah up and then went in to wake Jacob and get him dressed. As I am getting Jacob ready Hannah comes into the bedroom very distraught. She is crying and holding a piece of her hair. I asked her what happened and she mumbles something supposedly resembling speech, but it’s hard to tell. I said “Hannah, I can’t understand you, please stop mumbling.” She repeats herself, somewhat more audible, but I still don’t understand. I say again, this time with a little more force behind it “Hannah I can’t help you if I don’t understand you!” Hannah says “I HAVE GUM IN MY HAIR!” I fight back a little chuckle (you know she is 12, laughing could have thrown her into a mental breakdown) I said “How did you do that” She said “I fell asleep with gum in my mouth, am I going to have to cut my hair?” I said “I don’t know Hannah, but I bet you don’t do that again”
I have finished getting Jacob ready, so we meander over to the bathroom. I get some ice and tell her to hold it on her hair while I get Noah up. Hannah is in the bathroom whimpering. I shout from the other room “Hannah it’s a minor problem, we don’t need to hear all that, we can’t change what has happened. Give me a second and we will work on it.” She stops crying. I finish with Noah and go back in the bathroom. Noah follows and I ask him to get the peanut butter, which he thinks is so cool! Which I had to quickly turn into a lesson of why we don’t sleep with gum in our mouths and just because sister “gets” to put peanut butter in her hair, does not mean it’s cool.
So, I get the gum out- most of the way- I had to cut a little, but luckily because of our little chat earlier, we didn’t have a melt down. WHEW! She then freaks because there is peanut butter in her hair, so we wash it out! Great job, crisis averted!
Now I am running behind schedule, but really not that big a deal. I wanted to get to work early, but it was not required, so we are still sane. I have to return a movie to Redbox that was rented, so we have to stop at McDonalds before we go to grandma’s house.
My in-laws live one block up from us (which happens to be the same block that the McDonalds is on) so easy trip, right? WRONG!
I drive to McDonalds to drop off the movie and Matt calls as we are leaving the parking lot. I talk to him, exit the driveway, make a u-turn under the freeway and Jacob asks “Where are we going?” I said “To grandmas.” I continue talking with Matt and Jacob says again “Where are we going” This time, I turn around briefly, so my voice is headed in his direction (as brief as you can while driving) and say “We are going to grandma’s” I continue talking with Matt. This time Jacob’s voice is more elevated and he says “Where are we going?” I turn again and say much louder this time “We are going to grandmas!” I continue talking with Matt and Jacob shouts “THEN YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY!” I look up and sure enough when I left McDonalds I was on their street, but not paying attention, I thought I was on our block and made a u-turn, so now I was a block past their street. I was laughing so hard, I had tears in my eyes. I told Matt what happened, got off the phone, because really you should focus more when driving. More importantly, why did my passanger in the front seat (Hannah) not say anything??? It took Jacob (very perceptive) in the back seat to set me straight!?!?
SO….many lessons learned this morning, no chewing gum at bed time and NO talking on the phone while driving.
No comments:
Post a Comment